Contact Sober Nation's Sponsored Hotline

If you are seeking drug and alcohol related addiction rehab for yourself or a loved one, the hotline is a confidential and convenient solution.

Calls to any general hotline (non-facility) will be answered by Behavioral Health Innovators

Alternatives to finding addiction treatment or learning about substance:

If you wish to contact a specific rehab facility then find a specific rehab facility using our treatment locator page or visit

To learn more about how Sober Nation operates, please contact us

Request A Call Back From A Sober Nation Sponsor

    Prove You Are Human!
    [recaptcha size:compact]

    REQUEST A CALL FROM A REHAB SPECIALIST Please Enter Your Phone Number And Someone Will Be With You Shortly

      Prove You Are Human!
      [recaptcha size:compact]

      Professional & Completely Confidential Help is Standing By. We're here to help!
      CONTACT FORM Request A Call-Back From A Certified Addiction Specialist Send Message
      Sober Nation

      Putting Recovery On The Map

      01-08-19 | By

      KTLA News Anchor Chris Burrous Dies after “Possible Overdose”

      Chris Burrous, an anchor on KTLA Channel 5’s “Morning News,” died Thursday after Glendale police found him unresponsive in a motel room, authorities said. He was 43.

      Around 1:15 p.m., police were called to a room at the Days Inn, after 911 received a call about a man who “passed out and was possibly not breathing.” Paramedics took him to a hospital, where he died, the department said.

      The Thursday afternoon call was made by a man who was with the newsman at the time, police said. He told police that Burrous had “possibly overdosed.”

      Pending Further Investigation

      Authorities said that the individual who called 911 “appeared to be a friend” of the news anchor and “did a good job of trying to render aid” when firefighters appeared at the scene. Burrous was given CPR and then transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. While suicide appeared to be ruled out as a cause of death, they are currently awaiting toxicology reports from the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office.

      “The man was not breathing and CPR was administered as paramedics prepared to transport him to the hospital,” Glendale police said in a statement. “The man was later pronounced dead at the hospital.” Glendale Police Sgt. Dan Suttles told KTLA that first responders recognized Burrous immediately. “That was something that we recognized right away, because, you know, everybody knows Chris. So we knew that this was gonna be something that was gonna be a very sensitive matter,” Suttles said.

      Burrous joined KTLA in 2011 after 14 years as a reporter and anchor across the country. He helped extend the morning news show to seven days – serving as weekend anchor and handling breaking news during the week.

      “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Burrous family,” KTLA President and General Manager Don Corsini and News Director Jason Ball said in a joint statement.

      “Chris loved sharing the stories of Southern California and connecting with our viewers. He will be remembered as a great journalist and a wonderful friend to many. He brought a kindness to his work and will be deeply missed by the entire KTLA family.”

      “There Are No Words.”

      Last weekend was the first weekend without Burrous on KTLA’s morning newscast and the team dedicated the morning show to his memory as tearful co-anchors shared clips and memories.

      KTLA’s Lynette Romero posted a tribute on Twitter, saying: “There are no words. When we took this picture during our show I had no idea it would our last time together. You made me laugh until I cried. My tears now are for your sweet little girl, your wife Mai and your dear parents. We will miss you so…”

      KTLA anchor Sam Rubin tweeted: “Here’s the thing. This is awful. Heartbreaking and horrible. What Chris Burrous did was connect – with all of us, every day, and most especially on the weekends. He deeply loved his wife and his daughter; and all of you who watched him. A large community is in mourning tonight.”

      Burrous was the son of a farmer and NASA engineer. He graduated from Chapman University with a degree in broadcast journalism. He is survived by his wife Mai Do-Burrous and their 9-year-old daughter Isabella.


      Join The Conversation

      Reboot Your Recovery